1. How should you choose a deep conditioning treatment that’s right for you?
The first step in at-home conditioning is choosing a conditioner . Take our test to find out the perfect products for your hair type and goals.
2. How should you apply your deep conditioner?
To get the best results from your deep conditioner, soak wet, freshly shampooed hair with your chosen product. If your hair is really dry, you could do your deep conditioning treatment before you shampoo to help with detangling. Apply evenly and thoroughly, coating the hair and focusing on the ends where your strands are likely to need the most TLC.
3. How long should you leave your product on for?
Always follow the instructions, which usually range from 3 to-30 minutes. If you leave the product on for too long, you won’t see any extra benefits and you might over-condition your hair and weigh it down. Pop a shower cap on to trap some heat and help your mask penetrate your hair shaft.
4. How should you finish your treatment?
All good treatments end one way: a cold rinse. It might feel a little chilly, but cool water smoothes the hair cuticle locking in all that moisture you’ve worked so hard for.
Deep conditioning tips
- Deep condition at least once a week
- Pop a face mask and a podcast on at the same time
- Use a hairdryer on low to help the ingredients work their magic
- If your hair feels limp or greasy after, try using a lighter product or leaving it on for a shorter time